Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Reading Profile

Once I started working in libraries I finally had time to read for fun again.  Last year, I set a reading goal for myself to keep myself accountable to read while in the MLS program. My goal was 30 books and I ended up succeeding by reading 33. I've upped my goal to 40 books this year so I'm excited to keep going. I'm a hardcore YA reader, and I also used to read a lot of children's fantasy, such as Artemis Fowl, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and Inkheart. In particular I enjoy YA fantasy, romance, distopian/utopian/paranormal setting stories. I have started to branch out into other genres, such as adult historical fiction, mystery, sci-fi, and fantasy. My favorite historical fiction so far (I haven't read much) is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I'm currently reading The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon in that series.

Making a list of favorites is one of the most difficult things me, but here is a glimpse at my top 5 favorite series (always subject to change):

1). Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
2). The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
3). Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (I've read the first four books so far)
4).  The Mortal Instruments series by Clarissa Clare
5). Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke

Favorite authors - might give some of a you a better idea of what I read:

J.K. Rowling
Jane Austen
Sarah Dessen
Cornelia Funke
Jim Butcher
James Patterson
Orson Scott Card
Eoin Colfer

Just off the top of my head.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shelby,
    Oh no! You are starting the Outlander series! Those darn books. I started them last year around this time and I couldn't stop - even when I wanted to. I had to read them all straight through. I think I ruined my eyes! But Oh that Jamie... :)
    After reading your post, I think I am going to read Artemis Fowl again. I read that to my older children, oh my gosh, about fourteen or fifteen years ago? I remember we liked them but that's about all.
    Me and my almost 13 year old are going to start reading Pride and Prejudice this weekend - kind of for a Valentine's Day read. Here's a funny story about when I read Pride and Prejudice the first time... I was quarantined in bed with the chicken pox so I read it all day while my husband was at work. I loved the romantic, debonair way the men talked, how romantic it all seemed... Then my husband (now ex-husband)came in from work all dirty and just said "hey" and I remember feeling annoyed, like why can't he talk like the men in this book? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi,

      I'm trying to get through the 5th book right now. It's pretty slow going for me, and I've set it down for a bit so I can focus on reading the genres I've assignment myself for the class.

      Artemis Fowl is such a fun series <3.

      Lol! Yep, I feel the same way after reading Outlander or Pride and Prejudice when I see my fiance. Where's the "you are blood of my blood, and bone of my bone" talk? Jeez. XD

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adored Artemis Fowl and Harry Potter when I was growing up. Those books were so good and I want to read the entire series of both when I have a little more free time. The Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo was also a favorite of mine while I was growing up. I want to start reading the Outlander series too because historical fiction is one of my favorite genres as I started reading that genre in high school when I read The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory. I prefer Elizabethan fiction because of her novels, but everyone keeps telling how good Diana Gabaldon is so I bought all her books to read on my lunch break at work. Have you read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or seen the movie adaptation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outlander- at least the first book is totally worth it. I don't know if you like to watch film/tv adaptions prior to reading, but you could give the TV show a shot first if you like. The tv show follows the books extremely well.

      I've seen the movie adaption of Pride And Prejudice and Zombies! I kinda loved it in a weird way, haha.

      Delete
  3. Great reading profile! I've only read the first book in the Outlander series so I need to commit and read all the books already, I'm dragging my feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, the pacing in the Outlander Series slows down after the 3rd book so they can take awhile to read. It's worth it though, it's just hard to accept that some parts of the later books can't have Jamie in it 24/7... *sigh*

      Delete